Mapping the changing shoreline of Hobsons Bay

Posted Jul 31 in Archaeology, Archaeology of Melbourne, historical archaeology, Historical Research, Victoria, Williamstown

Williamstown was once envisaged as the main settlement of Port Philip Bay. Named in 1837 after the ruling British monarch, William IV, the peninsula was a vital port and thriving settlement, even as Melbourne gained ascendancy. Today, Williamstown’s maritime connections remain active, though the Naval Dockyard no longer builds and repairs ships at the level […]