Dr Vincent Clark & Associates have been the primary consultants investigating and managing the historical and Aboriginal cultural heritage on-site for the Wesley Place project. The project will see the construction of two new high-rise commercial towers, the renovation and rejuvenation of the 157-year old Wesley Church and associated buildings, and the creation of public urban spaces through the landscaping of the entire precinct between Lonsdale and Little Lonsdale Streets.
The project was characterised by a staged demolition program and tight timelines that required expert investigation and management of the five archaeological sites present in the project area of 6,100m2. Dr Vincent Clark and Associates provided quality and professional services to complete the salvage excavations of a highly significant row of six cottages along Jones Lane, the results of which into Melbourne’s early colonial history.
Subsequent stages of the archaeological excavation and monitoring program included the documentation of five additional mid- and late 19th century residences along historically notorious Little Lonsdale Street, early shops and residences along Lonsdale Street and the remains of the first Wesley school. Over 200,000 historical artefacts were recovered and managed and 2100m2 was excavated to meet the client’s timelines. Dr Vincent Clark & Associates have provided a diverse range of heritage services for the project, including:
- Preparing and obtaining heritage consents for multiple VHI sites
- Close and collaborative consultation with Heritage Victoria
- Design and implementation of a cultural heritage management and excavation program for the project
- Archaeological salvage excavations staged to suit condensed timelines
- Archival research
- Preparation of an cultural heritage management plan
- Consultation with Traditional Owner groups and Aboriginal Victoria
- Media communication and community engagement
- Coordination and mentoring of archaeological student volunteers
- Post-excavation artefact management, cataloguing and analysis
- Heritage interpretation and planning
- Historical and Aboriginal archaeological advice and monitoring
- Digital site and feature recording, including 3D photogrammetry of the excavated archaeological structures
For further information about the project, click here.